The practice was founded in 1931 by Ralph Ingram, with the aim of providing a complete ophthalmic service instead of just the provision of spectacles. Ralph was always interested in innovation, and imported the first custom-made ophthalmic chair into the UK from the United States. He was joined in 1974 by David Austen and the practice continued to grow, regularly investing in the latest equipment and creating the practice that is David Austen Optometry today. Patient care is our first priority and from computer controlled visual field units to our electronic test charts and laser scanning ophthalmoscope, our patient journey is supported by up-to-date equipment and well trained staff.
With well over 6000 eye examinations conducted in the last two years and with many new patients joining us as a result of recommendations from family and friends, you’ll find a busy, welcoming and friendly atmosphere in our practice. Our independence gives us the flexibility to choose the best from our suppliers whilst our size gives us status as preferred partners - giving us first pick of the latest innovations, spectacle frames and lenses. We have nearly 1000 frames on display at any one time and these are regularly updated with new stock. We look forward to welcoming both our existing and new patients to the practice.